Updated February 2010

Transfer students

Courses and registration
Degree requirements
Majors, Minors, Honours
Directed Studies
Distance Education
Human Subject Pool
Volunteer opportunities/Research labs
Graduate school

Q: I am currently a student at another school and would like to transfer to UBC next fall. How do I apply into the Psychology program, how many transfer credits will I get, and what GPA do I need?
A: Admissions and transfer credits are determined by the Admissions Office, not the Dept. of Psychology. Students intending to Major in Psychology must first apply to the Faculty of Arts or the Faculty of Science. Each Faculty (Arts and Science) determine their GPA (grade point average) required for admission. For more information refer to the following website:

Q: I have PSYC 1st (3 credits) . . . that is what transferred over from college. Do I have to take the other half?
A: Yes, all students wishing to complete a Major or Minor in Psychology must have 6 credits of PSYC 100 (or a combination of PSYC 101 and PSYC 102)


  Back to Top

Q: The course that I want to take is full. What can I do?
A: Check the Student Service Centre frequently. Registration often fluctuates especially during the registration period and when it is close to the start of the term. If classes have started and you have still not been able to register, attend the class and ask the professor if s/he is willing to sign an add/drop form. The Professor may no - it is their discretion.

Q: I have already taken a Statistics course. Do I still have to take PSYC 218?
A: If you wish to graduate with a Major in Psychology you cannot be exempt from taking PSYC 218.

Q: I was wondering if you knew yet what the PSYC 205 course topics will be for the upcoming year?
A: Yes, there will be several sections of Psychology 205 Contemporary Issues--with various topics. On the Student Service Centre, click 'Courses'. Once you have selected PSYC 205, click on the green arrow under 'Section Comments'. There you will see the topic for that particular section of PSYC 205.

Q: I am a third year student transferring for college and I am majoring in psychology. Today I registered, but when I selected psych 217 and 218, it said I didn't have the prerequisites and that I would have to check with the department in order to be able to take the course. I took the equivalent to Psyc 100 ( 6 credits) at college.
A: The Student Service Center sometimes has problems recognizing transfer credit- that's why you received a WEB warning. I checked your registration and can see that you registration in Psyc 217 and 218 went through just fine.

Q: What is the difference between PSYC 300A and 300B?
A: As of September 2002, PSYC 300 is offered as a variable credit course of either 3 or 6 credits: PSYC 300A (3 credits), PSYC 300B (6 credits).

Q: What Psychology courses are offered during the Summer Session?
A: The course listing is published near the end of February. Check the Course Schedule on the Student Service Center.

Q: I need the course description for a course that I have taken in the past but it is no longer offered at UBC. Where can I get a copy of the description?
A: Back copies of UBC Calendars are located in the Koerner Library or contact the Transcript Dept. of Enrolment Services.


  Back to Top

Q. What courses do I need to complete my Psychology degree?
A. For degree requirements, go to .

Q: I just checked out the website and see that the program requirements for a Major or Minor in Psychology changed in 2002. I started my program before this, how do these new program requirements affect me?

A: See Waiver Policy


  Back to Top

Q: How do I declare my Major in Psychology?
A: For Arts students, when you have 2nd year standing on the Student Service Center, you can declare your Major by selecting the 'Specialization' button.

Q: How do I apply to get into the BA Honours Program?
A: Application procedures and form are available online at

Q: How do I apply to get into the BSc Program?
A: Refer to the following website for information about the application process, and the online application form:

Q: I am a BSc Major and I am interested in obtaining a Minor in Psychology. What are my options and how do I apply?

A: You have three options (an application form for each option can be downloaded from the following website:

Option 1) BSc- Science Minor in Psychology.
You will be required to take PSYC 100, or PSYC 101 and PSYC 102, and 18 more credits of 300 or 400-level Psychology courses numbered 60 or higher in the last two digits.

Option 2) BSc- Arts Minor in Psychology - 30 Credits
You will be required to take PSYC 100, or PSYC 101 and PSYC 102, in the first year, six credits of 200 level PSYC  in the second year ( PSYC 207 and PSYC 208 are recommended),  and at least 18 credits of 300 or 400-level Psychology courses in the third and fourth years (not including PSYC 340, 348,440, or 448).

Option 3) BSc - Arts Minor in Psychology - 18 Credits
You will be required to take PSYC 100, plus at least 18 credits of Psychology courses numbered 300 and above (not including PSYC 340, 348,440, or 448).


  Back to Top

Q: I am interested in taking a Directed Studies course. What is the process?
A: Note: You must have obtained an average of at least 72% in your last 30 credits in order to be eligible for a directed study.

Step 1 - Contact a full-time Faculty member (Sessional Instructors are not eligible to supervise a Directed Study) and ask whether they will supervise your project.
Step 2 - Pick up the Directed Study form from the Psychology Department office and fill out all of the required info including a brief summary of the project. When the form is filled out, bring it to the Psychology Undergraduate Advisor's office (Kenny Bldg. Room 2502). Refer to the following website for the Advising Schedule:
Directed Studies gives you an opportunity to participate in a research project. The Faculty member that is supervising your Directed Study can give you details about what will be involved.

NOTE: The Department of Psychology requires at least 30 senior-level Psychology credits for the Psychology Major. Directed Study projects with the course numbers PSYC 340, 348, 440, or 448 may not be included for the minimum 30 Psychology credits required for the Major Program.


  Back to Top

Q: How many Distance Education and Technology courses can I take?
A: Each Faculty (Arts and Science) sets their own maximum amount of DE&T courses that are allowed. Please refer to the website of your Faculty to find out what your limit is.


  Back to Top

Q: I am interested in participating in the Human Subject Pool Credit program. How do I obtain credits?
A: For information about this program, refer to the following website:


  Back to Top

Q: I am interested in volunteering in a research lab. How can I find out about positions that are available?
A: There are often postings on the bulletin board in the main entrance of the UBC Psychology building (Kenny Bldg.). You can also directly contact labs that are conducting research in areas that are of interest to you and ask if they need volunteers. A list of the labs and their corresponding websites and contact information can be found on our webpage Click on RESEARCH

Q: I am interested in obtaining a research position in the Department of Psychology. How can I find out if there are any openings?
A: Generally, to obtain a research position you need to first be sponsored by a professor before applying. There are occasionally postings on the bulletin board in the main entrance in the UBC Psychology building (Kenny Bldg.). However the bulk of these are volunteer positions.

Q: I am interested in applying for a Summer Undergraduate NSERC award. What is the process?
A: Students interested in a NSERC must first contact a Faculty member with an active NSERC research grant. For a list of eligible professors visit UBC Career Services in Brock Hall Room 2307. Once you have found an eligible professor, both of you will have to complete and submit Form 202, Application for an Undergraduate Student Research Award, to your Department / Faculty Coordinator (Jennifer Janicki, Undergraduate Psychology Advisor). The form and more information about NSERC can be found on the following website:


  Back to Top

Q: How do I apply for graduation?
A: Go to the Student Service Centre and select the Graduation button.
Q: When do I apply for graduation?
A: Please refer to the following web page for information about Graduation deadlines:
Q: When is the graduation ceremony?
A: Please refer to the following web page for ceremony dates:
Q: When and where do I get my Grad photos taken?
For information about Grad photos, refer to the Psychology Students Association web site at the following address:


  Back to Top

Q: I would like to get into Graduate School in Psychology at UBC but my undergraduate degree is not in psychology. What are my options?
A: You have two options:
Option 1) Obtain a second degree, Major in Psychology. As a student with a previous degree, this means that you will need to complete a min. of 60 credits and meet all of the requirements of both the Psychology Program and the Faculty.
Option 2) Apply to UBC as an unclassified student. This means that you are only required to take the courses that are required for the Psychology Program (42 credits). However, you will not obtain a second degree.
Q: I am interested in Counselling Psychology but I cannot find any courses or programs on your website. Do you offer any?
A: Counselling Psychology is offered through the Faculty of Education. For more information refer to the following website:

Q: I would like to get into Graduate School in Psychology at UBC and have heard it helps if you have funding. What does that mean?

A: Information on the graduate awards process is available at We encourage you to contact the major granting agencies directly.

Home | About this Site | Privacy | A - Z | About Us | Contact Us | Site Map | Site Feedback/Problem | ©2010-13 Psychology, UBC. All Rights Reserved.

a place of mind, The University of British Columbia

Faculty of Arts

Department of Psychology
2136 West Mall
Tel: 604.822.2755
Fax: 604.822.6923